Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Have you purchased your Corned Beef for the weekend?

With St. Patricks day approaching, I thought it would be helpful to distinguish between the different cuts of corned beef, which cut is the best choice and most important, how to cook the perfect brisket.
What is corned beef brisket?  Beef brisket is the most common cut used for making corned beef.  Corned beef is beef that is cured in a salt brine, often with spices.  The term ‘corned’ comes from the English term ‘corn’ meaning any small particle, such as the coarse grained salt which was used for curing the brisket.
So, which is the best cut to buy?  The point cut or the flat cut?  This is a matter of personal preference.  I prefer the flat cut as it has less fat and is more uniform in shape.  Others prefer the point cut because of the fat, thinking it has more flavor.  I think if you are going to shred the brisket, point is okay because you will be able to remove most of the fat.  I like to slice my brisket into thin slices, so I will be purchasing a flat cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment